SUNDOWN SINDROME

Hanna Tsepesh: Hello Sundown Sindrome! Thanks so much for accepting this interview and Welcome to THE GATES OF METAL! First of all: how are you guys and for those who do not know Sundown Sindrome could tell us a little how it all started?

J. von Crow: HEY you! Well at least I am alive. Been sick now about one week but I will handle it. Sundown Sindrome´s story can be read from our myspace so I guess it is too long answer right now? I met Das Scheit guys first time while we were on tour together with To/Die/For and Das Scheit! Actually we´ve done two european tours together. That´s how I became a friend with S.de la Corneille and U. del Cuervo.

A. van Crane: I was called by U., he asked me if I wanna join a new band. I said yes.

S. de la Corneille: Thanx I am fine, just suffering of that heat here in Germany...but we Germans are always complaining about weather...winter is too wet, summer too hot. I think Mr. von Crow enjoys summertime in his vale.

U. del Cuervo: It’s our pleasure! Well, we all are very busy actually by writing songs and preparing this and that in the back. There’s a lot to do.

M. di Corvo: S.de la Corneille contacted me about his plans about Sundown Sindrome asked me if I’m interessted. After I checked out the first demos, it was clear. I wanted to join Sundown Sindrome.

Hanna Tsepesh: Sundown Sindrome is a Dark Rock band, right? I would like that you guys explain to our readers to know more about S.S music style.

S. de la Corneille: You are right! Well, to tell it in simple words: Sundown Sindrome stands for dark and melancholic melodies but also heavyness. It's simply dark touched Rock music! This was the main goal for me personally to start with the guys.

M. di Corvo: As you said, it is Dark Rock. It has a deep melancholy flair, flavoured with an epic and synthesized touch. Combined with a powerful voice, drums, guitar and bass, it sums up in the material you heard.

A. van Crane: Well, I don' know actually. We're working on songs and it seems it's getting to a direction no one ever expected. It's gonna be very exciting.

J. von Crow: I could say we are Dark Rock band, yes. Usually I hate to put all music under some genres but....anyway, We are the kings of Vale of Crows and our music is for the people of Vale of Crows.

U. del Cuervo: Our style is first of all ROCK! Powerful, atmospheric, straight. All about the rest, let the people decide.

Hanna Tsepesh: What inspired you the most to create the lyrics for Sundown Sindrome? The band writes the lyrics first or first the band creates the riffs and the melody to comply with the lyrics?

J. von Crow: Personally I always do melodies first. Well…sometimes there can be some nice line where to start the whole idea but mainly melodies comes always first. For me music is not music without melodies! Even my lyrics may sound as a fantasy thing; there is always something from reality. It is just disguised behind different kind of words and lines.

S. de la Corneille: J. writes all the lyrics...so I think with his words everything is said about it. Writing songs is different, it depends who has the basic idea. If I write a song for example, the melodies and instruments are first and J. completes it with lyrics. I think J. always has some words in his mind with melodies when he starts a song.

Hanna Tsepesh: What are your favorite bands? You have any musician that you guys admire the most?

M. di Corvo: I don't have specific favorite bands, it is more the song I like. But if I have to mention a few names it would be Rammstein, Vanden Plas, Christina Aguilera, Killswith Engage, Evanescence and so on. Funny mixture, isn't it?

A. van Crane: This list would get too long because there are so many personalities out there to mention, e.g. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Miles Davis, Shostakovitsch, Charlie Prker, Allan Holdsworth, Homer Simpson...

S. de la Corneille: Too much to mention them all. I adore a lot of music and bands. For me personally I love the last album of 30 seconds to Mars...it rocks and it’s real art. Of course there are some old heros, but I never was really influenced by them.I’m more influenced by movie soundtracks, melancholic stuff (surprise)... One composer who touch’s me deep with his melodies is Clint Mansell - if someone knows him (laughs).

U. del Cuervo: They are to many great bands and even more great musicians but personally I don’t have “heroes”. My favourites are bands doin hand made music. From GlamRockers MÖTLEY CRÜE to Rock bands like EXTREME or TOTO. But I also like great songwriters and performers like MICHAEL JACKSON or Mr. Entertainment himself FRANK SINATRA. The list is endless.

J. von Crow: I am not in Metal at all. I love The Doors and Jim Morrison. Muse, Placebo, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran etc. If I should name some metal bands that I CAN listen without being bored I should say In Flames (Clayman album especially) Sepultura´s Arise album, Sentenced! and well...that´s it. Usually it depends what kinda day I am living.Sometimes I can listen one song from Slayer and it is totally enough for me. But if the song is good then it doesn´t matter what kinda music it is.

Hanna Tsepesh: J. von Crow, I would like to know if you had or have any singing lessons or any other preparation?

J. von Crow: Me? Singing lessons? No way! Can´t you hear it? I am not a real singer. I just want to describe my feelings and spit it all out as I want.

Hanna Tsepesh: (laughs) ok! When you guys start to play your instruments? There is any reason to choose your instruments?

U. del Cuervo: Well, I started to play the piano when I was 10 years old. But I drummed everything from first day of my life. The way was prescribed. At the age of 16 I started to play drums finally. Much too late!

A. van Crane: I soon recognized that girls like guys playing guitar. So that's why I started. Well, not sure if that's the truth. Personally, I always liked electric guitars since I was a kid. Don’t know exactly when it started, but someday I found a guitar at my parents house and I started to play on it (there were 3 strings on it but who cares), and that was it.

S. de la Corneille: Can’t remember...maybe I was drunk (laughs), but I guess I was late....14 years old or something. I m used to play bass now for some years, because in my first band a bassplayer was needed. But when I write songs, I play bass at last. I’m writing with keys and guitars... just a liiiiittle bit.

M. di Corvo: I started at the age of five. The reason is quiet simple; my mother is a classical piano teacher.

Hanna Tsepesh: I already listen to your music’s at MySpace and I have to say that I am really surprised and I can’t wait to listen what you guys will make in one album! Can you guys tell to us what we can expect from Sundown Sindrome album? Can you reveal something about your future album?

J. von Crow: Now we need just a few songs more and we could release an album. We are unsigned also so things do not happen that fast I think. I am really waiting days when I could tour with these Crows together around the world.

U. del Cuervo: You will get another 6 maybe 7 Rockin trips through the Vale of Crows to continue the started work. We all hope to hit the road very soon!

S. de la Corneille: I guess an album with 10-12 darkrock-bastards which will stick in your head.

M. di Corvo: How to describe music by words? For sure a hard job. But with every idea for a song we have, I will try push it into something unique. Every song needs to be treated in the right way, give the song what it needs. This is important for the whole aspect of songwriting. But for sure all upcoming songs will have the original Sundown Sindrome trademarks.

A. van Crane: I don't know, let's see what happens.

Hanna Tsepesh: How has the response been about the music’s at MySpace by the media and fans?

S. de la Corneille: Well the media was very interested but there was no official release until now…the response of fans on MySpace is fucking great...

U. del Cuervo: First of all, we’d like to thank all these crowy girls and guys out there for being part of and taking part on Sundown Sindrome. It’s amazing. The response makes us proud but we all know to work even harder now to do a really grant debut.

Hanna Tsepesh: About the music’s at MySpace, what is your favorite and why? I liked a lot “Raving Hearts”, because I can feel a lot the band background and your knowledge from the other bands. M. di Corvo makes a excellent work in the melody in this music, don’t you agree?

J. von Crow: I wrote this song for To/Die/For more than a year ago, but we took it with Sundown Sindrome. My favourite is Vale of Crows! It rocks and there is some kinda feeling that I really love.

A. van Crane: I like all the songs. They're all different and unique in their own way. But there's a lot more to come.

U. del Cuervo: Each guy brings in his heart. One important thing is the different musical influence of each member. That’s why Sundown Sindrome always will be bit different and will never sound just Gothic, just Heavy or just whatever.

M. di Corvo: Well, I do agree, thanks for your positive words. It is my favorite song as well!

S. de la Corneille: Who is M. di Corvo? (Laughs) I think every member of the band did a fucking great job! I have no favorite one because I remember every single moment in studio...and when I hear the songs I have some pictures in my head I don’t want to miss. It feels good to be part of the Sindrome.

Hanna Tsepesh: (laughs) well I was talking about the melody in that particular music, but of course all the band makes an excellent work! You guys are from different countries (Germany and Finland). It is difficult for the band record music and also this debut album? How you guys deal with it?

J. von Crow: Take a plane from Helsinki to Frankfurt.That´s how I deal with it.

A. van Crane: Lots of travelling by plane. I'm glad there's Internet.

Hanna Tsepesh: The band is thinking about a European tour in the future? You guys have plains to include Portugal in your tour? J. von Crow, did you remember your concert with To/Die/For in here? Long time ago… ? , maybe we can see again To/Die/For with Sundown Sindrome in here, in the same tour …

S. de la Corneille: Well for a singer it will be painful to sing in two bands each evening...I don’t know if this would be a good plan BUT of course I want to play wherever people want to see us. And of course we want to tour in Europe and all over this planet when we finished the first album. But we will wait for the right promoters.

J. von Crow: I remember Portugal shows, yes. It was very nice to play there. Well…of course it was a bit weird to play with Exodus but anyway.

Hanna Tsepesh: Let see what will happened! The band want to send any message for the people who going to read this interview?

U. del Cuervo: Thanks to all of you for joining and pushing us! And thank you, Hanna, for well prepared questions and spending your time!

A. van Crane: Watch out and don't trust you expectations. We're gonna kick them off.

M. di Corvo: Check out the whole album as soon as it available. It could turn into an important spot in your life.

S. de la Corneille: Let the music speak!

J. von Crow: SUPPORT US! Be yourself and love yourself.

Hanna Tsepesh: Thanks so much for your answers and time. THE GATES OF METAL wishes the entire band a big success with Sundown Sindrome! We hope to see you guys very soon in here…

S. de la Corneille: Hope to see you and all our supporters out there soon...Crows will spread their wings to Portugal! Thanks a lot for the interview.

J. von Crow: I have to go to the toilet now so I have no time for this question sorry!

A. van Crane: Can't wait to see you on the road. Keep an eye on your daughters!

U. del Cuervo: Finally, if you allow, I’d like to say a big THANK-YOU to our incredible Girls-Crew in the back. They are doin’ a great passioned job for Sundown Sindrome by doin’ the myspace-Street-Teams “German Crows” & “USA Crows” and all these profiles on web. It’s a hard work and it’s an important work to support the band and spread the sound. THANK YOU LADIES, YOU ROCK!

M. di Corvo: I hope so too, and again, thanx for your positive words.

Hanna Tsepesh: You guys are very welcome! All the best…

By: Hanna Tsepesh
To listen to some Sundown Sindrome music’s and for future information’s go at:
www.myspace.com/451157052